Florida Amputation Prevention Institute at Florida Cardiopulmonary Center is one of its own kind. Our goal is to prevent limb amputations by achieving the best patient outcome. We have highly trained, compassionate, board-certified cardiovascular specialists who are fully dedicated to work and passionate for saving limbs and prolonging the lives of patients. They use advanced therapies and techniques to achieve their goals. Our office is equipped with a wide range of non-invasive testing including arterial and venous ultrasound to make diagnosis of Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) or venous disease. Our office-based state-of-the-art Cardiovascular Laboratory is equipped with the latest technology equipment and capable to provide the best care to our patients at low costs without any undue delay. Testing for venous insufficiency, venous ablation, venous stents and varicose veins functioning is easily possible with the capable equipment we have.
WHY AN OFFICE-BASED LAB IS BEST FOR YOU?
- Same-day discharge with no overnight
- One-on-one nursing care
- Comfortable outpatient setting
- Experienced team
- Lower costs
- Cutting edge technology
- Easy scheduling
- Customized care
FACTS ABOUT PERIPHERAL ARTERIAL DISEASE (PAD):
- Up to 18 million Americans suffer from Peripheral arterial disease
- 1 in 20 Americans over the age of 50 has PAD
- Nearly30 million people in America have Diabetes and 25% of these will encounter a limb-threatening infection
- 1 in 3 diabetics over the age of 50 is likely to have PAD
- 24 – 37% of chronic kidney disease patients have PAD
If left untreated, then PAD can lead to severe symptoms of debilitation leg pains, followed by sores that over the time become non-healing wounds leading to Critical Limb Ischemia (CLI). This will finally progress to requiring amputation. But many people don’t even recognize that they have the disease.
Critical Limb Ischemia is a condition characterized by chronic (≥2 week) ischemic rest pain, non-healing wound/ulcers, or gangrene in one or both legs attributable to objectively proven arterial occlusive disease.
AMPUTATION IS NOT THE ONLY OPTION
Patients with non-healing wounds and critical limb ischemia (CLI) are among the most complicated ones to treat. Limb amputation or loss is a potentially devastating event in a person’s life, often resulting in profound physical, psychological, and vocational consequences.
Patients with CLI frequently have multiple comorbidities requiring a specialized multidisciplinary team for optimal medical management.
- 25% of patients are dead in one year
- 30% of patients have an amputation in one year
- 30-day mortality is 5-6%
- Majority of deaths are due to cardiovascular causes
- 3-year limb loss rate is 40%
- Quality of life measures are comparable to terminal cancer
Each year more than 160,000 amputations are performed in the USA from UNTREATED PAD
However, Dr. Ratan K. Ahuja specializes in amputation prevention and has several years of experience in limb salvage and PAD treatment. Dr. Ahuja will never recommend amputation without confirming by vascular angiogram to see if any of the arteries are fixable and blood flow can be restored.
WHY SECOND OPINION?
For patients with PAD /CLI diagnosis, giving a recommendation of amputation is extremely frightening and patients may not know where to seek second opinion. That’s where Dr. Ahuja comes in. In many cases, PAD , even after being complex in nature can be successfully treated using the minimally invasive endovascular procedure on an outpatient basis. Quite a few times it’s a simple, less than an hour procedure that completely changes a patient’s life, and now it is possible after seeking a second opinion. Our endovascular specialist is aimed at taking care of patients in the best possible way.
MINIMALLY INVASIVE ENDOVASCULAR PROCEDURES:
Historically, PAD required open surgery in-hospital stay and several days of recovery. With the advent of minimal invasive procedure of endovascular treatment nowadays, amputations and invasive surgeries have become far lesser common for PAD treatment.
Our Cardiovascular Specialist holds expertisein these types of procedures – Angioplasty, different kind of Atherectomy (orbital, directional, laser), and Stenting.
Benefits of minimally-invasive endovascular procedures:
- Out-patient visit – They’re performed in our office based Cardiovascular Laboratory, so one can walk in, get the procedure performed, and walk out to home on the same day. No hospitalization required! Depending on your insurance, it may also cost less co-payment or co-insurance as it is an only office visit.
- Quicker recovery with less discomfort – No major incisions, no heavy anesthesia, less painful, and in fact you walk out of the office, back to your normal life much quicker
- Safer –Less complication-rate is witnessed as compared to open surgery as no large incisions, no heavy anesthesia.
The best part is that in many cases, these office-based vascular procedures can prevent amputation by restoring blood flow to the feet and legs.
- Immediate Service: We try our best to see the patient on an urgent basis
- Non-invasive testing in our office if needed
- Arterial ultrasound
- Venous ultrasound
- Vascular angiogram with possible revascularization in our office-based Cardiovascular Laboratory at earliest possible time, offering highest quality care with state of art equipment at a lower cost
- Staging of procedures if necessary
- Regular surveillance in office through visits and non-invasive testing in our PAD Clinic in theoffice
- We optimize your risk factor modification, medications, diet, rehab, and overall care
We also coordinate your care with other team members (Interdisciplinary Care Team):
- Primary Care Physician
- Infectious Disease
- Vascular surgeon
- Social workers
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
- Comprehensive diagnostic and treatment modalities
- Fully equipped Cardiovascular Laboratory located onsite to perform several limb-saving endovascular procedures
- The latest cutting-edge technology for endovascular treatments
- A private, comfortable, caring, outpatient experience
- Reduced wait times and no hospital stay
- To return home same day, shorter recovery
- Safety, versatility and leading-edge technology
THE GOALS OF OUR TREATMENT:
- Reduce pain
- Improve walking ability
- Reduce the risk of heart attack & stroke
- Save limbs from amputation.
*As with any medical procedure, there could be adverse effects, risks, and/or complications, so it is important to discuss all of these with your physician
Feel like you may have symptoms to PAD take the Symptom Screener today!